My 93 year-old granny was unwell recently and hospitalized for the past 2 weeks. Those who know me personally, will know that I am very close to her as she has looked after me since I was a baby and I chose to stay with her even when I grew up. She is like a good friend to me and I can talk to her about anything. We have a very close relationship as I stayed with her until I got married.
It saddened me to see her so miserable as she doesn’t like to stay in the hospital. She has kept her lips tightly closed and refused the oral medications and hospital food and had to be put on a drip. The doctor thought that she has difficulty in eating and swallowing and wanted to insert a feeding tube in her which we were against.
To proof the doctor wrong that my granny can actually eat, I‘ve baked this pandan chiffon cake using extra virgin coconut oil (see below for the health benefits) and at the same time, I experimented with some bread flour. The result was amazingly good and I was surprised that the texture is so fine, smooth and cottony!
I brought this cake to the hospital and my granny finally opened her mouth to eat as I fed her. The doctor and nurses were really amazed as they saw her chewing the cake happily away! I have shared this cake with the doctors, nurses and patients and all gave big thumbs up and commented that the cake is so delicious!
Thank God that my granny is finally discharged from the hospital and I’ve baked this family’s favourite Gula Melaka Yoga cotton cake, also using extra virgin coconut oil, to welcome her home and cheer her up. Am really happy to see her eating well again. 🙂
|Source from Internet|
Updated on 20 October 2017
My beloved grandmother passed away peacefully on 8 October 2017. I missed her badly and feel sad that I no longer can bake for her. I have baked this cake today in memory of her, will be thinking of her always as she remains in my heart forever…
“It takes much time and effort to compose and translate recipes, I would appreciate it if you DO NOT copy and pass it off as your own as I have painstakingly prepared each blog recipe. If you wish to share or adapt any of the recipes that I have posted in this blog, please give credit and provide a link back to the relevant post here. ”
Ingredients: (18cm tube pan)
40g caster sugar 细砂糖
55ml organic extra virgin coconut oil 有机初榨椰子油
100ml UHT coconut milk 椰奶
1/4 tsp pandan paste 香兰糊
50g blue jacket cake flour 低筋面粉
50g blue jacket bread flour 高筋面粉
Pinch of salt 少许盐
5 egg whites 蛋白
50g caster sugar 细砂糖
Note: Different brand of ingredients have different composites, thus there may be a slight difference in the end result.
1. Sift flour and salt twice together, set aside.
2. Beat egg yolks and sugar (add 1/3 at a time, beat till sugar dissolve before adding next 1/3) until well combined.
3. Mix oil in gradually before adding pandan paste and coconut milk. Mix till well combined.
4. Add in the flour mixture and whisk till no flour is seen.
5. Beat the egg whites till firm peak, adding the sugar in 1/3 at a time. (I used Thermomix, Time 3 mins, Speed 3.5)
6. Add the meringue into the egg yolk mixture 1/3 at a time, each time gently mixed well before adding the next.
7. Pour batter into a 7″ ungreased tube pan, drop the baking mould gently on the table to remove any big air bubbles. (I’ve used an 8″ pan, the height of cake is shorter.)
8. Bake in the lowest level of a preheated oven at 160°C for 10 mins, lower to 150°C bake 10 mins and lower to 140°C bake for for about 40 mins or until cook. (Please adjust temperature and timing according to your own oven.)
9. Remove cake from the oven and invert the pan to cool. Unmould the cake when it is completely cool.
Do give this recipe a try. If you like it, share the recipe using the social media buttons below. You may also like to subscribe to Baking Taitai’s free newsletter so that you will never miss a new recipe post. You’ll get an e-mail in your inbox each time a new post is published. You can also find Baking Taitai on Pinterest , Facebook, Instagram and Youtube for the latest updates.