ikan bilis sambal
- 100ml cooking oil
- 1 1/2 big onions, peeled and finely ground
- 400ml chilli paste (cili boh)
- 1 teaspoon dried shrimp paste (belacan)
- 3 big onions, peeled and sliced
- 80g brown sugar
- tamarind juice, extracted from 15g tamarind pulp mixed with 200ml water
- 80g ikan bilis, deep fried
- 10 small salted fish, preferably ikan gelama, deep fried
- deep-fried ikan bilis
- hard-boiled egg wedges
- cucumber slices
- 10 pieces banana leaf, scalded and wiped dry
To cook ikan bilis sambal: Heat oil in wok. Saute ground onion, chilli paste and belacan until fragrant, stirring continuously. Add sliced onions, brown sugar and tamarind juice; simmer for 5 minutes. Lastly, add the deep-fried ikan bilis and remove from heat. Set aside.
To deep fry salted fish: Heat oil in a wok over medium to low heat. Deep fry salted fish until crisp, turning over once. Remove and drain excess oil on paper towels.
To wrap nasi lemak: Scoop hot nasi lemak onto the middle of a banana leaf. Top with a piece of deep-fried salted fish and ikan bilis, a tablespoon of ikan bilis sambal, a wedge of hard-boiled egg and cucumber slices. Fold up the banana leaf on both sides and tuck the other two ends under to form a pyramid-shaped parcel.