Chicken wings are always a big hit in my family. You can’t be wrong if you bring along some yummy wings to share in any party or BBQ gatherings.
I just pan-fried the marinated wings, and was very satisfied with their BBQ-like looking. The taste of the chicken wings was sensational with rich flavours.
Pan-fried Lemongrass Chicken Wings Recipe
By Christine’s Recipes
Yield: 3 to 4 serves
- 900 gm chicken wings
- 2 stalks lemongrass, only the white part
- 10 cherry tomatoes, optional
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp dark soy sa
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp Shaoxing wine
- Rinse the chicken wings. Drain well and wipe dry. Cut into pieces at joints and discard the tips. (Note: you might like to save the chicken tips for cooking soups). Pound the white lemongrass stalk and finely chopped.
- Mix the chicken wings with the lemongrass and marinade well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove from fridge and rest in room temperature for 10 minutes. Drain the chicken wings. Discard the lemongrass and marinade.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Cook over medium-high heat until cooked through and both sides are brown, about 4 minutes for each side. Cooking time might vary depending on how big your chicken wings are. Dish up and set aside. Discard the excess oil in the frying pan. Add the cherry tomatoes and stir fry until soft. Season with salt. Dish up for garnish. Serve the chicken wings with fish sauce, mixed with some sugar, freshly grated lime juice and red chillies if you like. Enjoy!
- Don’t overcook the chicken. The meat will turn dry and tough otherwise.
- I like to fry both sides of chicken wings until golden brown, then cover with a lid to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. By doing so, the middle part of chicken can be cooked through very quickly without loosing too much moist. Then remove the lid and continue to cook for a while, letting the wings dry up a bit on the surface. The oil in the chicken skin will be released, but the meat is moist and juicy.
- The intensity of saltiness of different brands of fish sauce is different. Adjust the amount accordingly. For your reference, I used this Three Crabs Fish Sauce.