Every time I have this dish, I love taking a close look at the springy prawn ball sitting on top of the silky smooth tofu before taking a big bite. It’s an incredible feeling that you can feel all the flavours bursting out in your mouth at the moment you bite them.
This is the silky tofu I used. You’d easily find it available at any Asian grocers. Normally this kind of products are stored in fridge. The texture is so delicate and smooth.
I used a food processor to make the prawn (shrimp) paste. Mix it with the marinade and give it a good stir before steaming with tofo.
This dish took less than 10 minutes to steam in a wok or a steamer. We couldn’t wait to dig in once the dish was served on the dining table.
Steamed Tofu with Minced Prawn Recipe
By Christine’s Recipes
Cook time: 1
Yield: 2 to 3 serves
- 200 gm prawn/shrimp meat
- 1 to 2 packets silky tofu
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp egg white
- white pepper, to taste
- light soy sauce, to drizzle
- 2 tbsp hot cooking oil
- Peel and devein the prawns. Rinse thoroughly and wipe dry with kitchen paper (as picture shown). In a food processor, put the prawn and marinade to process into a thick paste. If you want springy texture, transfer it into a mixing bowl, stirring with chop sticks towards one direction, either clockwise or anti-clockwise, until you feel it’s really hard to stir further. Wet your hand with a bit of water, then pick up the prawn paste and throw against the bottom of mixing bowl many many times until the paste attains that springy texture.
- Following the instructions of the package, remove the silky tofu from the packing. Cut the tofu into about 1.5 to 2cm thick pieces. Carefully place the tofu on a plate. Absorb excess water with kitchen paper. Lightly sprinkle cornflour on the surface of the tofu. Spoon prawn paste and arrange on the tofu.
- Steam in a wok/steamer over high heat for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until the prawn paste is cooked through, changed into red in colour. Discard any excess water in the plate. Drizzle with seasonings. Serve hot.